These soft and spongy fairy cakes, flavoured with vanilla, are true classics – add extra decorations to jazz them up
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
2. Put the sugar and butter in a bowl and mix together until pale, soft and fluffy. Gradually add in the eggs and vanilla until combined, sift in the flour and mix until smooth.
3. Use a spoon to divide the batter between the cases. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted come out clean.
4. Put the icing sugar in a bowl, and mix in enough milk to loosen until the icing just falls off the spoon. Add colouring, if you like.
5. Let the cakes cool completely and then spoon icing onto each cake, letting some drizzle down the sides, if you like, and decorate with whatever toppings you prefer.