Keralan Chicken curry is also know as ‘chertha kozhi kari’, this chicken curry has classic flavours from Kerala, with ginger, green chilli, whole fragrant spices and a light, creamy gravy enriched with cashew nuts.
- Put the chicken in a large bowl with the yogurt, turmeric and pinch of salt. Mix well. Chill for 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
2. Put all the cashew paste ingredients into a blender, along with the cashew soaking liquid. Blitz to a smooth paste and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large, wide, heavy-bottomed pan over a medium heat, and sizzle the cinnamon stick and cloves for 1 minute. Add the onion and fry, stirring for 10-12 minutes until softened and turning golden brown. Add the chicken and left-over marinade and fry for 8 minutes, turning the chicken to seal as you go. Reduce the heat and season. Add 100ml of water, cover and cook for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
4. Add the cashew paste, remove the lid and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the gravy has thickened slightly and just coats the chicken. Add the cardamom powder, cover and turn off the heat. Leave until ready to serve.
5. Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Fry the cashew nuts for 2-3 minutes or until starting to brown. Scoop into a bowl with a slotted spoon. Set aside. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves to the pan. As soon as they begin to splutter, pour everything over the chicken, along with the cashew nuts.