Celebrate onam with Kerala’s traditional dish – Avial. Vegetables like drumsticks, yams, carrots, pumpkin and beans cooked with curd, coconut and varied seasonings.
1. Cut drumsticks, yam, carrots, green beans, ash gourd and yellow pumpkin into long rectangular pieces. Each piece needs to be about one and half inches long. Make sure all the vegetables are of the same size.
2. For plantain, peel only the ridges keeping the outer skin. Chop them also into rectangular pieces.
3. Add some water in a pan along with the chopped vegetables. Cover the pan for some time and cook them till soft.
4. Now, add a tsp of turmeric, curry leaves, 4 slit chillies and salt as required.
5. Add the coconut paste into the pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Now add curd, oil, cumin seeds to the mix and simmer it for 2 to 3 minutes. Wait until the mix is semi-dry.