Guinness Chocolate Cake with Irish Buttercream features an easy, fudgy, and moist cocoa cake with Guinness beer and thick cream.
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter a deep 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line with baking paper.
2. Put the Guinness, butter, chocolate and vanilla in a medium pan over a low heat, stirring until combined and smooth. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
3. When the mixture is slightly cooled, whisk in the eggs, followed by the soured cream, until smooth. Mix together the sugars, flour, bicarb and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry, whisking continuously, until you have a smooth batter.
4. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
5. To make the icing, put the cream, sugar and cocoa powder in a large bowl and whisk to soft peaks. Remove the cake from the tin, put on a serving plate, and dollop the icing on top, spreading it with the back of a spoon to cover the surface.