Tres leches cake with Plums
A double whammy of condensed and evaporated milk gives a richness to this ‘three-milk’ cake recipe. Save the liquid from the drunken plums and use in an aperitif cocktail to top off your meal
1. Heat the oven to 175C/fan 155C/gas 3. Butter a deep 23cm springform cake tin and line with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and ¼ tsp of salt in a bowl and set side.
3. Using a stand mixer or electric beaters, whisk together the egg yolks and 100g of the sugar in a large bowl for 3-5 minutes or until thickened – when you lift the beaters it should leave a trail in the mixture.
4. Ensuring the whisk attachments are clean and dry, repeat for the egg whites and remaining 100g of sugar, and whip together to form a stiff meringue. Tip the sifted dry ingredients into the bowl with the whipped egg yolk and mix well until no lumps remain. Fold a third of the egg whites into the batter, then add the remaining egg whites. Pour the cake batter into the tin and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 1 hour before poking the top all over with a skewer.
5. Mix together the sweet milk ingredients in a bowl. Put the cake on a baking tray and pour the sweet milk mixture over it. Allow to sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours or, better, overnight.
6. Put a plate on top of the cake and carefully flip it over. This will provide you with a flat surface of the cake to garnish.
7. Meanwhile, to make the drunk plums, toss the plums with the sugar in a bowl to macerate for 10 minutes until juices come out – if the plums are quite sweet, consider reducing the sugar; or, if they are quite sour, add a little more to your taste. Pour over the sherry. Allow to sit for a minimum 30 minutes but preferably overnight.
8. To make the topping, whip together the cream, sugar and the cinnamon, if using, until it forms soft peaks. Add as much cream on the cake as you like. Serve with the drained drunken plums on the side and decorate with edible petals!!.